domingo, 15 de abril de 2012

Our Favorite Sins by Todd Hunter

I've read a lot of books about temptation but Todd Hunter really gets to the point when take the reader into the heart of the matter and take away the 'mystery clothing'. I mean, temptation is some mysterious weapon in the hands of the enemies of Jesus' people, but if you see it for what it is, well, you can see that temptation is a pretty dull thing.
If I'd have to choose one phrase out of the whole book it would be this: 'I can be tempted only when a desire I already have within me matches something that comes to my attention.' James said it in his epistle and Hunter translated it for us in his book. That's the reason why some people are tempted with drugs, some with social internet and some with gambling, for example.
The book tries to make the reader to understand that Temptation is not that powerful and that, if wanted, desires can be reoriented, defeating temptation in the process.
The only thing that I felt really strange is the 'prayer reading' stuff, but I suppose that this is because I'm not from that kind of church background.
Do I recommend this book? Well, if you're fighting with temptation and really want to start winning the battle, I strongly recommend the book.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.