lunes, 27 de junio de 2011

Money secrets of the Amish, by Lorilee Craker


I'm from Guatemala (and still living there) and I've been intrigued by the Amish community and their practical beliefs, so I thought this book would be a great opportunity in order to get to know them better. At least, the kind of "knowing" that one can get trough a book.
Since I've been interested in them, the money-saving practices wasn't a surprise and I wasn't that hard to convince that the Amish point of view is correct. Really correct.
However, the thing that surprised me was the 'cheap-ways' around a lot of their life.
I know that 'cheap' isn't a fair term but that's the best adjective that I could find, that really can explain how the Amish ways look from this side of the fence. I mean, my wife and I try to be really good managers of God's blessings in our life, but come on! 'Repairing' the car with dock tape when you can make or pay a real job?
The book showed  me where I'm standing: If you can afford something... well... buy it! The big question, at least for me, is: Can you really afford it? And that means: Buying that or really-repairing that, would be an obstacle in your walk with God or will get you or your family in trouble? If the answer to that question is a 'yes', then you can't really afford what you wanted to buy.
I mean, I don't believe in the prosperity gospel but I don't believe in the the poverty gospel either!
This book might be a good 'get to know the Amish money ways' guide, but I think that, for the common people that want to get out of debt and want to get control of their finance... well... it's a little scary.
Even for people in my country, where the 'Amish way' about use and re-use stuff is almost 'our way'... it's a little scary and radical way of life.
Sorry.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.